Top 5 web-only stories this week
1. Tahoe City Wine Walk is this Saturday, June 18, on the North Shore from noon to 4 p.m.
“Since its inception, the Tahoe City Wine Walk has grown from a few hundred ‘wine walkers’ to close to 1,000 attendees from the Truckee-Tahoe region and beyond,” reported Kaleb Roedel of Sierra Sun.
“Along with an array of fine wines, participants also have the option to sample micro brews and high-end spirits. Non-alcoholic offerings will also be available …”
2. Hankering for a sci-fi/fantasy film with lots of adventure? Try “Warcraft.”
3. According to the Associated Press, “Conservationists are asking the White House Council on Environmental Quality to put the brakes on plans to allow a popular off-road, desert race from near Las Vegas to Reno to run through a newly established national monument in southern Nevada.
“The race sponsor, the Best in the Desert Racing Association based in Boulder City, bills the event as the longest off-highway vehicle race in the United States. Between 250 and 300 motorcycles, trucks, dune buggies and other all-terrain vehicles are expected to compete this year.”
4. Read the story of Faux, a rescue cat, and the ever-growing need for feline adoption throughout the region.
“A household with a cat or two in it is rarely boring, sometimes a little too exciting, but most certainly rewarding,” wrote Toree Warfield, a Tahoe-based columnist and nature lover.
“There are many of these interesting creatures waiting for homes in shelters around the lake and in Reno at the Nevada Humane Society. Take the plunge, adopt a cat and enter the realm of their mysterious ways.”
5. Traveling to Santa Fe, New Mexico, with your family just became easier. Travel-writer Caramie Schnell outlines where to eat, sleep and explore with young children.
Head to Tahoe Daily Tribune online (http://www.tahoedailytribune.com) to read these stories and more. The Tribune’s website is updated daily with a variety of local and regional news, including breaking news, food, entertainment, recreation and opinion.