U.S. Mint in Carson City Cornerstone 150th re-dedication to be held
On Sept. 24, 1866, at 2 p.m., the Grand Lodge of Nevada, Free and Accepted Masons dedicated the laying of the cornerstone of the original U.S. Mint in Carson City. Exactly 150 years later to the day and time, the Grand Lodge of Nevada, Free and Accepted Masons will rededicate that cornerstone at what’s now the Nevada State Museum at 600 N. Carson St. in Carson City.
On Saturday, Sept. 24 at 2 p.m., the public is invited to view the rededication ceremony of the laying of that cornerstone. This historic community event will begin with a Grand Procession from Carson Lodge No. 1, Free and Accepted Masons located across the street from the Nevada State Museum. The ceremony will begin at 2 p.m., with the rededication of the cornerstone by the Grand Lodge of Nevada and accompanied by speeches by State of Nevada dignitaries.
An open house will follow at Carson Lodge No. 1, Free and Accepted Masons at 113 East Washington Street, Carson City. The public is invited to tour the Carson Lodge building, which is the original V & T Railroad Depot. Carson Lodge No. 1 was the first Freemason Lodge in Nevada and has operated continually since 1862 when it was chartered first in California, then in Nevada when it first became a state. The building is on the National Historic Register for Historic Buildings and features the original Depot clock, a Comstock silver Knights Templar Riding Uniform and a register of all guests to the Carson Lodge with the signature of Brother Samuel L. Clemens (aka Mark Twain).
For more information, call Secretary Mike Williams at Carson Lodge No. 1, 530-882-3931.