Man assaulted at his home for second time
A 47-year-old South Lake Tahoe man was severely wounded Thursday. He said a man with a knife tried to break into his apartment and attacked him at his residence on the 3700 block of Pioneer Trail.
Jorge Candelario, who speaks only Spanish, was taken to Barton Memorial Hospital where he required extensive suturing to close his wounds.
Candelario said he was home alone shortly before 7 p.m. when a stranger knocked on his door. When Candelario began to open the door the suspect reached in and slashed his face.
Candelario also received deep cuts on his arm and neck before forcing the door closed on his attacker.
The suspect was described as a white male who is approximately 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighs 145 pounds. Candelario told police the man had graying hair, a goatee and that he looked dirty. He was last seen wearing a blue jacket and blue jeans.
Candelario told South Lake Tahoe Police the attack was random.
“He said he didn’t know his attacker,” Detective Martin Hewlett said. Witnesses heard the attack but they didn’t see anything.”
After Candelario forced the door shut the attacker broke a window and began screaming at him in English, which he could not understand. Bleeding from his cuts, Candelario defended himself with a broom until the attacker fled after hearing a neighbor yell for the police.
Candelario was attacked and viciously beaten in the same apartment in November 1998 by his neighbor, Lawrence Root, who is still in prison after pleading guilty to charges of assault with a deadly weapon.
Root beat Candelario so badly that he was forced to remain in the hospital for more than a month.
“His head was exceedingly swollen and it looked like part of his left ear had been cut off,” officer Mark Allen testified during Root’s preliminary hearing.
It is uncertain why Candelario was the target of either attack. Police are asking for help in the search for Thursday’s suspect.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — The historic storm that hit the Tahoe Basin this past weekend provided a good base for the winter, weather officials say.