Man cited for animal cruelty |

Man cited for animal cruelty

William Ferchland

A feline trapped in a hot 1994 Mercury Sable parked at Raley’s shopping center at the “Y” was rescued by authorities who used a baton to break one of the car’s windows, an El Dorado County sheriff’s deputy reported.

A concerned citizen notified the deputies a cat was crying inside the car on Saturday afternoon, an 85-degree day, the deputy stated.

Authorities reported the cat was using all its energy to breathe and looked in “immediate need of assistance.”

Windows were cracked about 1-inch but there was no wind and the car was parked in direct sunlight, the deputy reported.

A window punch was attempted but was unsuccessful. A deputy then used his baton to break a window and placed the cat in the air-conditioned patrol car along with some water.

The deputy who rescued the cat estimated the temperature inside the car was more than 100 degrees.

Recommended Stories For You

The 19-year-old male driver of the car said he didn’t think he would be gone for too long but was cited on suspicion of animal cruelty.

In other news:

— A $10,000 engagement ring was reported stolen sometime when it was being transported to Reno from Las Vegas, a Douglas County sheriff’s deputy said.

The ring was getting repaired through Oliver’s Fine Jewelry by a goldsmith in Las Vegas. Due to time constraints, Greyhound shipping was used. The ring was transported from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City to Reno.

The goldsmith said he placed the ring in an envelope, folded it four times and placed it in an Altoids box. It was then placed in another envelope, then a plastic bag followed by a standard mason box. Then it was put in another box for transportation.

The ring was reported stolen May 30.

— A person assigned to clean a cabin at Echo Summit to prepare it for the owners reported the cabin was burglarized, with a VCR, ceiling lamp, portable stereo and clothing taken, an El Dorado County sheriff’s deputy reported.

In addition, feces were spread “all over” and several upstairs windows were broken, the deputy stated.

The burglary was reported May 25. The cabin was locked up in December.