Man killed in head-on collision |

Man killed in head-on collision

After fleeing California Highway Patrol bicycle officers in Tahoe City, a Huntington Beach man headed north on River Road until he crossed the double yellow lines and ended his life in a head-on collision Sunday afternoon.

Jeremy Joseph Nevin, 24, was killed while attempting to pass another vehicle between Tahoe City and Alpine Meadows, according to the highway patrol’s accident report. Nevin’s 1999 Subaru struck a southbound 2000 Audi, sending it down an embankment towards the bike trail and the Truckee River; the Subaru came to a rest in the highway’s southbound lane.

The highway patrol, Placer County Sheriff’s Department and units from the North Tahoe Fire Protection District responded to the accident after receiving reports from other motorists. Rescue operations and the coroner’s investigation kept River Road closed for more than two hours between Tahoe City and Olympic Valley.

According to Fire Chief Duane Whitelaw, when he arrived one of the two victims in the Audi was being removed from the vehicle. Susan Elkind, 56, of Orinda, was removed from the car and transported to Tahoe Forest Hospital and then flown to Washoe Medical Center.

Peter Elkind, the driver of the Audi, suffered considerably worse injuries.

“There were a number of different things going on with him,” said Whitelaw, adding that the driver was also flown to Washoe Medical Center. “He was entangled within the front seat. It took a good half hour to get him out.”

As of Wednesday, the Elkinds were still at the medical center; Peter was listed as being in fair condition and Susan was in good condition.

Whitelaw said that both the driver and passenger side airbags deployed in the Audi and he thought they played a significant role in sparing the Elkinds.

“[The airbags] also went off in the Subaru, but it didn’t matter,” Whitelaw said.

Nevin was pronounced dead at the scene and emergency crews worked for half an hour to remove his body, having to cut off the top of the Subaru. Because he was carrying no identification, Nevin’s body was identified through checking his car’s registration.

According to sheriff’s reports, Nevin fled bicycle officers when he was approached Sunday at Commons Beach. The two highway patrol officers, along with a bike officer from the sheriff’s department, were responding to a report of a disturbance and possible intoxicated driver, according to the patrol’s report. An autopsy will be performed to determine if Nevins was under the influence of alcohol.

As highway patrol officer Tony Prisco approached Nevin in the Commons Beach parking lot Sunday, Nevin got in his car and fled. The officers chased after Nevins on their bikes but lost him at the wye, according to Prisco and fellow officer Larry Bousquet.

“I wished he’d stopped. That’d been a lot easier,” said Prisco.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User