Man sentenced to probation instead of prison in teen sex case | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Man sentenced to probation instead of prison in teen sex case

One of three men accused of having sex with girls of middle-school age was sentenced to three years probation by an El Dorado County Superior Court judge.

Judge Jerald Lasarow ruled last week in favor of probation rather than the midterm of six years in prison for Luis Perez, 20, who pleaded no contest in December to one count of committing a lewd and lascivious act on a young girl.

He faced a maximum of eight years in prison.



Perez, who has spent three months in jail after his arrest in November, still must spend another four months in El Dorado County Jail.

He also must register as a sex offender, stay away from the girls and any other females under 18 years old and pay a fine of at least $833.




The two other defendants, Renee Estupinan and Octavio Perez-Ruelas, are scheduled for a Feb. 24 court appearance to set a trial date.

They are both charged with committing a lewd and lascivious act on a person under 14 years old.

To varying degrees the three engaged in sexual conduct with several underaged girls who would request intercourse after consuming alcohol, according to reports.

Perez’s attorney, Paul Palant, was pleased with the sentence.

“It was a very fair sentence and I think all parties are in agreement with that,” he said.

Rich Horvatich, the father of one of the girls, was not pleased.

“That’s a far cry from the eight years he was supposed to get,” he said.

“How do I feel? I feel like the guy walked,” Horvatich continued, fearing a precedence was set for the other two.

The mother of one of the girls, is being charged with bringing a firearm into a jail and carrying a loaded gun. Her court appearances, including a possible trial, are scheduled for next month.

The mother was arrested in November when she reportedly told a deputy at El Dorado County Jail that she wanted to kill one of the men. When asked how she intended to achieve her plan, she allegedly displayed a gun.

She pleaded not guilty to her charges. An anticipated three-day trial is scheduled for March 28 while a conference to determine readiness for the trial is set for March 17.

– E-mail William Ferchland at wferchland@tahoedailytribune.com


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User