Man’s counseling program apparently fails |

Man’s counseling program apparently fails

A former Stateline resident, convicted of beating his pregnant girlfriend so severely in October 1997 that he fractured several bones in her face, is going to prison.

Charles L. Hubbard’s original sentence was deferred for three years as part of a detailed plea agreement. Hubbard was ordered to attend a six-month residential treatment program and anger counseling program. Besides child support, Hubbard was ordered to pay more than $16,000 in restitution for his girlfriend’s medical bills and $11,000 on her behalf to the Victims of Crime program, and restitution for damages to her apartment.

At the time Douglas County Deputy District Attorney Alan J. Buttell said the agreement was reached with the endorsement of the then 22-year-old woman who was looking at raising their child with no financial support from Hubbard.

“Placing him in jail will not help her support their child,” Buttell said in 1997.

Even with the threat of a five-year prison sentence hanging over his head, Hubbard was unable to comply with the court’s orders. This year he was convicted by the Reno City Attorney’s Office of misdemeanor battery on the mother of his child, and Tuesday Hubbard’s deferred punishment finally caught up with him.

Judge David Gamble sentenced Hubbard to two to five years in a Nevada state prison. Hubbard will have to serve a minimum of two years before he is eligible for parole. Gamble also ordered again that Hubbard make restitution to the woman.

“He was unable to maintain a relationship with (the victim) that wasn’t fraught with violence and substance abuse,” said Deputy District Attorney Alan J. Buttell.

According to the woman’s testimony in the Douglas County incident, on Oct. 6, 1997, Hubbard hit her twice with his fist after an argument began over a long-distance telephone call made by Hubbard to his mother. The second blow caused her to lose consciousness. She was treated for multiple facial fractures that required three titanium plates to be surgically secured into the bones on the right side of her face.

Even after entering his guilty plea on the 1997 incident, Hubbard still didn’t take full responsibility for his actions. He told the court that he had shoved the victim and the injuries were the result of her hitting her head on a cabinet.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User