Mattress catches fire, burns out closet |

Mattress catches fire, burns out closet

Christina Proctor

An exposed closet lightbulb and a mattress were the culprits of a small house fire in the Gardner Mountain neighborhood Monday afternoon, firefighters said.

Around 1:26 p.m. two South Lake Tahoe Fire Department engines responded to the 600 block of Clement Street. According to the fire department, the resident of the single-story house smelled smoke and traced it back to the back bedroom closet where a mattress had fallen against a lightbulb. The woman reportedly pushed the mattress back and went back to the front of the house not realizing that the mattress was still smoldering. Firefighters said when the woman returned to the room it was full of smoke and she called the fire department and evacuated the house with her infant – neither were injured.

When the engines arrived flames were visible through the closet door and smoke had spread throughout the house. The fire was quickly extinguished. Authorities estimated the damage to the structure at $20,000, due mostly to smoke damage, and $5,000 in damage to the contents.

Tahoe Daily Tribune E-mail:

Visitors Guide | News | Diversions | Marketplace | Weather | Community

Copyright, Materials contained within this site may

not be used without permission.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.