Meyers home gutted by fire |

Meyers home gutted by fire

Elaine Goodman
Elaine Goodman/Tahoe Daily TribuneFirefighters battle a blaze at 1650 Tionontati St. in Meyers late Wednesday. Officials said the fire was started by barbecue briquettes on the front deck.

MEYERS – A fast-moving blaze sparked by barbecue briquettes on the front deck of home here late Wednesday appeared to have destroyed the house, authorities said.

A man was home alone sleeping at 1650 Tionontati St. when the fire broke out a little before 11 p.m., officials said.

“He woke up, smelled smoke, observed fire on the front deck,” said Lake Valley Fire District Assistant Chief Curt Warren.

The man tried to douse the fire with a garden hose, but his efforts failed and he fled out a back window, Warren said.

Authorities arrived at the home to find it fully engulfed in flames.

“This one really took off,” said Sgt. Pete Van Arnum, one of several members of the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office who responded to the scene.

Surveying the home from the street on Wednesday night, Warren said it appeared to be a complete loss. Two vehicles in the driveway also were damaged by the blaze.

In addition, three pet dogs were overcome by smoke and died in the fire, Warren said.

The resident was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene but declined hospitalization, Warren said.

The man declined on Wednesday to comment on the fire.

The residents had been barbecuing earlier in the evening on the deck at the front of the two-story A-frame home, Warren said.

Barbecue briquettes dropped onto the deck, starting the blaze, which was further fueled by construction material and solvents at the front of the home, Warren said.

An explosion heard as authorities were arriving on scene was likely a propane tank for the barbecue, Warren said.

The fire burned through the connection of power lines to the home, causing the line to fall across Tionontati Street. Power company workers were called to switch off the current.

Lake Valley firefighters received assistance in battling the blaze from the South Lake Tahoe Fire Department; the sheriff’s department and California Highway Patrol also responded.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.