MontBleu Resort receives $80,000 credit from NV Energy
The MontBleu Resort Casino & Spa received an $80,692 credit as an incentive from NV Energy for the recent installation of an energy-efficient lighting system throughout the property. Casino officials say the change will save $200,000 annually on lighting alone.
The light system overhaul began in July 2009 and took six months. MontBleu saw a return on investment within four months of installing energy efficient lighting throughout the casino, hotel and parking garage, officials said.
MontBleu is researching converting their hot water pumps to run on frequency drives that will regulate heat throughout the property and will reduce usage by 40 percent.
“Talk about a win-win combination. We saved energy, we saved money,” said Tim Maland, MontBleu’s general manager. “Plus it’s responsible, it’s smart, it’s right. And it’s the present as well as the future.”
MontBleu has implemented several energy saving policies since its 2005 conversion from Caesars Tahoe, including:
• Used tablecloths and linens are used to make the casino’s coin bags instead of plastic.
• Styrofoam cups have been replaced by recyclable paper products
• Housekeepers maintain rooms with eco-friendly cleaning products.
• Scrap metal leftover from Caesars Tahoe was recycled when the property was purchased and renovated in 2005.
• All paper throughout the property is recycled.
• Used batteries are all properly disposed.
• Hotel guests are encouraged to participate with MontBleu’s green goals with an option for daily linen and towel service.
Upcoming efforts include plans to reduce toilet water tank and faucet waste, collecting used vegetable oil to produce biodiesel, conversion of company vehicles to biodiesel, implementing bike-to-work days and recycling ink jet/toner cartridges.
For information on MontBleu’s sustainability efforts, visit http://www.montbleuresort.com/press.php.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User