Mother, son escape Friday fire | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Mother, son escape Friday fire

A mother and son barely escaped an early morning blaze in their Chateau Bijou apartment Friday.

Candles ignited a hanging decorative rug and the woman who was sleeping on the sofa awoke to the fire around 1:30 a.m., firefighters said.

South Lake Tahoe Fire Division Chief Merle Bowman said the family was lucky because there didn’t appear to be a working fire alarm in the apartment.



“There was a pretty narrow window of time, and they were pushing the envelope,” he said.

The woman awoke her teen-age son and realizing the fire was out of control they fled the upstairs apartment. The apartment complex is located on the 3400 block of Spruce Avenue. Investigators estimated $50,000 in damage to the apartment and a $15,000 loss in contents.




“There was fire and smoke damage throughout the apartment, but it was contained to the one unit. No other apartments were affected,” Bowman said.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


News

Still no timetable for reopening of US 50

|

SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — Officials said conversations are occurring daily in regards to reopening U.S. Highway 50, but there is still no estimated date as to when traffic may start flowing again.



See more