Nineteen-year-old sentenced to boot camp for Reno to Glenbrook joyride
District Judge Michael Gibbons sentenced 19-year-old Anthony Karnes to boot camp on Monday for one charge of possession of a stolen motor vehicle, a class C felony. Karnes was arrested Oct. 9 in connection with two stolen vehicles found near Glenbrook.
Karnes pleaded guilty to the offense in November.
“This young man has essentially been on his own since he was 12,” said Karnes’ attorney, Jennifer Yturbide. “He has had a history of substance abuse. He told me the first day that he needed some help.”
Yturbide said her client had mental health issues and suggested he attend the Salvation Army’s adult rehabilitation center.
But Gibbons and Deputy District Attorney Tom Gregory disagreed.
“With this case, you could very easily be in prison, even at your age,” said Gibbons.
Early Oct. 9, Karnes and three others were confronted by Douglas County Sheriff’s Deputy Michael Matthews, who found the suspects near Glenbrook in two vehicles stolen from Lithia Subaru.
One of the vehicles drove toward Matthews but struck a tree before striking the officer. Matthews ordered all four suspects out of the vehicles, but Karnes and another man fled into the woods.
Drug paraphernalia and a controlled substance were retrieved from the vehicles.
At 7 a.m., officers responded to a residential alarm in Glenbrook. Reportedly, Karnes had broken into a house to hide from police. He was arrested after a short pursuit.
“The defendant is young,” said Gregory. “But I felt this was a legitimate case for prison.”
Gregory said that although Karnes had already failed some beneficial programs, the state recommended he be placed in a regimental discipline program.
“Salvation Army is not going to happen today,” said Gibbons.
Gibbons said boot camp was designed for serious charges that were not dangerous. He said it would last approximately 190 days.
“It’s better than being in prison,” said Gibbons. “You can make a reasonable argument for probation if you complete it successfully.”
Gibbons told Karnes to write letters of apology to his victims and prepare to pay restitution to the owner of the house and the vehicle he was in.
“I have no objections,” said Karnes. “I completely understand what I’ve done.”
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
After a dry couple of weeks, the storm door may finally be opening.