No one injured in Kingsbury house fire; shake roof a factor in its spread | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

No one injured in Kingsbury house fire; shake roof a factor in its spread

Jeff Munson
Dan Thrift / Tahoe Daily Tribune
ALL |

A shake roof caught fire this morning in an Upper Kingsbury neighborhood, causing damage to the home and sending its occupants into the street.

A preliminary investigation indicates the fire, reported shortly before 10 a.m., started in the area of the woodstove chimney pipe, said Tahoe Douglas Fire Battalion Chief Dave Hekhuis. A cost estimate hasn’t been released, but much of the damage was on the exterior of the home.

The shake roof “was definitely a factor” in the spread of the fire, he added. No one was injured in the blaze.

Once firefighters initially doused the fire with foam, flames appeared 10 minutes later in another section of the roof.

The home, at 152 Bigler Circle, is divided into two units, each with woodstoves. Tenant Deanne Lee said she had built a fire in the unit’s small woodstove to warm up the house.

Neighbor Cathy Wilson, who was outside at the time, discovered the fire, called 911 and told Lee and her family their house was on fire.

The occupants of both units say they have previously reported problems and concerns regarding fire hazards to their landlord.

Lee said wind had knocked down the chimney last year and she hired someone to fix it before the cold weather set in. Lee said she uses the small woodstove to heat the house, which is occupied by her family.

When the property manager paid Lee for the chimney repair, Lee said she was warned by the repairman about the shake roof and the possibility of fire. She says she told her landlord about what the repairman said.

“You get to like where you live. I even want to buy the place if it ever becomes available, so I don’t want to create problems. But maybe this is some kind of blessing,” she said of the fire. “No one was hurt but could have been.”

The other tenant of the property, Sasha Russell, said she is moving and isn’t afraid to speak. She said she advised the property manager last year that she had felt the shake roof was unsafe, and that her own chimney needed work.

The one time she built a fire in the woodstove, her unit filled up with smoke, she said. When she told the property manager that she wanted the chimney fixed she says she was told to “not have fires.”

The property manager, Nan Hart of Marla Bay-based Tahoe Management Company Inc., acknowledged the home has a shake roof “just like a lot of homes” in the basin.

She said the tenants hadn’t discussed their concerns directly with her, adding the property management company has all of its chimneys cleaned on an annual basis.

“The woodstove probably got too hot,” Hart said. “Fortunately the fire department got there in time.”


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User