North Lake Tahoe Fire lifting fire restrictions Monday in Incline, Crystal Bay
INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — The North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District on Monday is lifting fire restrictions for Incline Village and Crystal Bay.
“With the arrival of moisture, higher humidity, and winter weather conditions, effective Monday, North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District has lifted the suspension of the use of solid-fuel and charcoal barbecues,” the district said in a news release and added that outdoor burning will also be allowed by obtaining a permit.
Permits for open burning of pine needles, slash pile, construction warming fires, and recreational fire pits are available Monday through Friday, free of charge. Please call 775-831-0351, ext. 8107 to schedule an inspection and obtain a permit. Visit our website for more information.
Guidelines for open burning are:
- Permit is valid for open burning only at the address listed and only for materials authorized
- Permit holder shall visit http://www.nltfpd.org prior to any burning activity to determine if it is an approved Burn Day
- No open burning is permitted on No Burn Days as determined by the Fire District
- Open burning starts at 6 a.m. and all piles must be extinguished by 3 p.m.
- Provide a 30-minute fire watch after extinguishing any fire
- Have a charged garden hose and hand tools nearby
- Keep pine needle and slash piles small and manageable
- An adult must constantly attend fire
- Clear a 25-foot radius noncombustible area around all fires
- Keep fires away from any overhanging branches
- Burning of household refuse, trash, cardboard, rubber products, tires, plastic, petroleum, construction debris and other non-vegetative materials is prohibited
Grilling Safety Tips
All grilling appliances shall be used within manufacturer’s guidelines and recommendations. Follow these simple safety tips when using solid-fuel, charcoal, or propane grills.
- Propane, charcoal, and other solid-fuel grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed far away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it.
- Charcoal grills are prohibited on combustible surfaces.
- There are several ways to get the charcoal ready to use. Charcoal chimney starters allow you to start the charcoal using newspaper as a fuel.
- If you use a starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid. Never add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquids to the fire.
- Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and away from heat sources.
- There are also electric charcoal starters, which do not use fire. Be sure to use an extension cord for outdoor use.
When finished grilling, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container. Contact the district for a free ash can (residents will need to have some type of wood burning heating appliance to be considered for the program). To obtain a free ash can, residents may fill out an application, available at the Fire District Administration Office, 866 Oriole Way, Incline Village. If the required criteria are met, an ash can will be provided.
- Check the gas tank hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year.
- Apply a light soap and water solution to the hose. A propane leak will release bubbles.
- If your grill has a gas leak, by smell or the soapy bubble test, and there is no flame, turn off the gas tank and grill. If the leak stops, get the grill serviced by a professional before using it again. If the leak does not stop, call the fire department.
- If you smell gas while cooking, immediately get away from the grill and call the fire department. Do not move the grill.
- If the flame goes out, turn the grill and gas off and wait at least 15 minutes before re- lighting it.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.