Oscar “Van” Thompson
September 6, 2018
Oscar "Van" Thompson 69 lived the good life in Tahoe for many years. While still in high school, Van was drafted into the US Navy and served during '67 and '68 in the Vietnam War. He received 3 medals with his honorable discharge. He worked in the South Shore Room at Harrah's in the '70's. Van loved his compound on Golden Bear Trail where he threw extravagant parties. Van spent winters in Hawaii and loved the Hawaiian lifestyle. He left Tahoe to care for his mother in Antioch. His last stop was Klamath River, CA, where he was caretaker of a farm. Multiple friends will miss Van and wish him well along his journey.
He is preceded in death by his parents Thorvald & Ida, and survived by his daughter Deatra Thompson, who is a Merchant Marine Captain, and his goddaughter Jennifer Bush (Story). Please meet us at Eldorado Beach on Sept 15th @5pm until sunset to remember Oscar.
- What lies in the depths of Lake Tahoe’s waters? (video)
- Authorities recover body from 1,062 feet in Lake Tahoe (updated)
- Human skull found in Truckee off Highway 89
- Blue Granite Climbing Gym open for business in South Lake Tahoe
- Referendum backers submit signatures; South Lake Tahoe marijuana regulations delayed (updated)