Letter: Appalled by Arpaio invitation in Douglas County (opinion)
March 1, 2018
It is beyond belief that the Douglas County Republicans would ask a convicted criminal to give their keynote speech at their Lincoln/Reagan dinner. This convicted criminal, a "law and order" sheriff, was anything but a law abiding sheriff. During his tenure as the Maricopa County sheriff in Arizona he selectively enforced those laws he liked while ignoring those laws he did not like.
Joe Arpaio used his considerable resources including undercover officers to destroy the lives and businesses of his opponents with false accusations. Yet he did not have enough funds or manpower to investigate abuse, sexual assault, and rape of children.
Maricopa County, a very conservative county in Arizona, finally had enough of Sheriff Arpaio and threw him out of office in November of 2016. The people spoke. The Douglas County Republicans appear not to be listening.
Dr. Margaret McKee
Lake Tahoe, Nevada
Trending In: Opinion
- Guest column: Decision time approaches for US 50 South Shore Community Revitalization Project (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Tahoe Roads: Recapping 2018 roadwork on South Shore (opinion)
- Ribaudo column: On South Lake Tahoe’s Measure T (opinion)
- Letter: Vote ‘yes’ on Measure T in South Lake Tahoe (opinion)
- Whole Foods, Chase Bank sites for sale in South Lake Tahoe
- ELECTION UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe’s Measure T passing by 58 votes
- Election impacts on Lake Tahoe real estate
- What’s new for the 2018-19 ski season at Lake Tahoe’s downhill resorts
- Lake Tahoe weather: Northern California wildfires could impact air quality in region