Letter: Appalled by Arpaio invitation in Douglas County (opinion)
March 1, 2018
It is beyond belief that the Douglas County Republicans would ask a convicted criminal to give their keynote speech at their Lincoln/Reagan dinner. This convicted criminal, a "law and order" sheriff, was anything but a law abiding sheriff. During his tenure as the Maricopa County sheriff in Arizona he selectively enforced those laws he liked while ignoring those laws he did not like.
Joe Arpaio used his considerable resources including undercover officers to destroy the lives and businesses of his opponents with false accusations. Yet he did not have enough funds or manpower to investigate abuse, sexual assault, and rape of children.
Maricopa County, a very conservative county in Arizona, finally had enough of Sheriff Arpaio and threw him out of office in November of 2016. The people spoke. The Douglas County Republicans appear not to be listening.
Dr. Margaret McKee
Lake Tahoe, Nevada
Trending In: Opinion
- Guest column: Progress made on workforce housing but more can be done (opinion)
- Letter: Vote ‘yes’ on Measure T in South Lake Tahoe (opinion)
- Letter: Consider fees, not a ban, to fix VHR issues (opinion)
- Letter: Jessica Morse the right choice for Congress (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’