Letter: Appalled by Arpaio invitation in Douglas County (opinion)
March 1, 2018
It is beyond belief that the Douglas County Republicans would ask a convicted criminal to give their keynote speech at their Lincoln/Reagan dinner. This convicted criminal, a "law and order" sheriff, was anything but a law abiding sheriff. During his tenure as the Maricopa County sheriff in Arizona he selectively enforced those laws he liked while ignoring those laws he did not like.
Joe Arpaio used his considerable resources including undercover officers to destroy the lives and businesses of his opponents with false accusations. Yet he did not have enough funds or manpower to investigate abuse, sexual assault, and rape of children.
Maricopa County, a very conservative county in Arizona, finally had enough of Sheriff Arpaio and threw him out of office in November of 2016. The people spoke. The Douglas County Republicans appear not to be listening.
Dr. Margaret McKee
Lake Tahoe, Nevada
Trending In: Opinion
- Ask Tessie: What tips do you have for a Harveys outdoor concert newb?
- Tahoe Prosperity Center: Project to build real workforce housing at Lake Tahoe (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Letter: VHR ban a bad move (opinion)
- Ted Gaines column: New bill slaps Californians with tax on services (opinion)
- Contractor damaged land in Emerald Bay; former employee considering lawsuit
- Lime electric scooters pose challenges for South Lake Tahoe law enforcement
- Harrah’s and Harveys Lake Tahoe start paid parking for special events, holidays
- Lake Tahoe love story: Couple who met and reconnected in Tahoe wed on North Shore
- Former Scripps/Howard estate on Lake Tahoe East Shore hits market for $35 million (video)