Letter: Are we witnessing a repeat of the Munich Agreement? (opinion)
August 9, 2018
The Munich Agreement was a settlement permitting Nazi Germany's annexation of portions of Czechoslovakia along the country's borders. The agreement was signed on Sept. 30, 1938, after being negotiated at a conference held in Munich, Germany, among the major powers of Europe, excluding the Soviet Union.
The agreement was signed by Germany, France, the United Kingdom and Italy. The annexed territory was of immense strategic importance to Czechoslovakia, as most of its border defenses and banks were situated there, as well as heavy industrial districts.
What was discussed at the Helsinki meeting last month?
In light of Trump's comments since he has been elected and his most recent critics of the European Union, NATO along with personal attacks of some chiefs of state, one could wonder if the Putin/Trump meeting was not some kind of Munich accords?
If this country is going to continue to be the beacon of democracy for the rest of the world and the land of the free, it is essential that our elected officials, as well the public, know what was discussed and agreed at the Helsinki meeting.
It is very probable that the future of Europe as well as our own depend on these secret talks.
Recommended Stories For You
A Holocaust Survivor and a concerned citizen
Trending In: Opinion
- Guest column: Decision time approaches for US 50 South Shore Community Revitalization Project (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Ribaudo column: On South Lake Tahoe’s Measure T (opinion)
- Letter: Vote ‘yes’ on Measure T in South Lake Tahoe (opinion)
- Tahoe Roads: Recapping 2018 roadwork on South Shore (opinion)
- ELECTION UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe’s Measure T passing by 58 votes
- Tahoe Regional Planning Agency approves US 50 South Shore Community Revitalization Project
- ELECTION UPDATE: Measure T’s lead falls to 47 votes in South Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Keys Marina vows legal action after City Council rejects land swap appeal
- South Lake Tahoe man jailed after allegedly selling pot to minors