Ask Tessie: Where should I ski this winter — Heavenly, Kirkwood or Sierra-at-Tahoe?
November 6, 2017
It's my first winter on the South Shore, and I'm struggling to decide where I should ski this winter: Heavenly, Kirkwood or Sierra-at-Tahoe. What do you suggest?
6-month-5-day-3-hour Tahoe Local
OK first off, answer me this very important question that will tell me loads about your skiing preferences: Are you the type to join the Rebel Alliance or are you more game to hop aboard the Death Star?
If your answer is the former, then hop in your '96 Subaru Outback and drive on down to Sierra-at-Tahoe. My guess is you're the crunchy granola dude who frequents Alpina Coffee because Starbucks is too "corporate," so Sierra's laid-back vibe will be right up your alley. Now keep in mind you'll be greeted with a 30-minute unorganized jumble of a lift line to get on Grandview Express, but you'll be rewarded with the best tree skiing in Tahoe and the smug satisfaction of knowing that you stuck it to the man.
Recommended Stories For You
If you really like complaining about "the way things were" then go to Kirkwood. No doubt on your first ride up Chair 6 you'll be bombarded with someone complaining about how "Vail really ruined this mountain" even though in the five seasons since all you've noticed are a couple of extra "slow" signs at the bottom of the hill. But really, you're going out of your way to get to Kirkwood because you're the most extreme skier you know. You've got your GoPro mounted to get footy for the boys, and you're going to really send it sliding down your back edge all the way down The Wall. Remember, it doesn't count if you don't Instragram it.
Finally, if you like the added challenge of dodging Bay Area tourists stopped in unsafe spots to get that perfect selfie with the lake in the background, then Heavenly is your jam. Though some may say the skiing at Heavenly is the most "mellow" in the basin, the human slalom course is sure to turn you into the next Alberto Tomba. So beebop your way down the mountain to the electronica tunes of the Heavenly DJ Cat for a $19 Bloody Mary at the Tamarack Lodge — you've earned it.
Tahoe Tessie is a humorous take on the standard advice column. It is produced by the Tribune staff, and it is not meant to be taken literally. Have a question you want to ask Tessie? Send it to email@example.com.
Trending In: Opinion
- Guest column: Decision time approaches for US 50 South Shore Community Revitalization Project (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Tahoe Roads: Recapping 2018 roadwork on South Shore (opinion)
- Ribaudo column: On South Lake Tahoe’s Measure T (opinion)
- Letter: Vote ‘yes’ on Measure T in South Lake Tahoe (opinion)
- Whole Foods, Chase Bank sites for sale in South Lake Tahoe
- ELECTION UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe’s Measure T passing by 58 votes
- Election impacts on Lake Tahoe real estate
- What’s new for the 2018-19 ski season at Lake Tahoe’s downhill resorts
- Lake Tahoe weather: Northern California wildfires could impact air quality in region