Back up the liberty boast
May 9, 2003
Kudos to the Tahoe Daily Tribune for having the courage to take a stand for equality. As a taxpaying lesbian, I feel it is time equal rights, not special rights, be moved forward for the same sex couple who have committed themselves to each other or for those who would like to have their relationship and commitment solemnized and recognized legally. Other countries in Europe have done so for several years and report no adverse reaction. It seems to me America for all it’s boasting and adherence to the credo of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, could and should insure the basic right of marriage for all people, not just those who fit into the religious right’s definition of “marriage.”
To writer who thinks that same sex couples shouldn’t be allowed equal rights because our abhorrent sexual practices drives up health insurance cost, I would say that you are mistaken about a great many things, not the least of which is the very complicated equation of what drives health care costs. While I don’t deny HIV/AIDS is expensive to treat, the most at- risk group right now for contracting HIV/AIDS is not gay men in committed relationships. It is heterosexual men and women between 18-25 years of age having multiple sex partners. All that said, the issue of bestowing equal rights to marriage for same-sex couples and what drives health care costs really are two separate issues.
For those who want more information on legislative happenings concerning this issue, contact the human rights campaign-www.hrc.org.
South Lake Tahoe
Trending In: Opinion
- LTVA column: Tahoe South continues full speed into summer with national media exposure (opinion)
- Guest column: Will new VHR initiative be the answer for South Lake Tahoe? (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Ask Tessie: What’s the point of voting in June?
- Publisher’s Perspective: Best of Tahoe finalist voting starts today (opinion)
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Amgen Tour of California road closure information for Lake Tahoe