City council candidate commentary
October 9, 2014
I am asking for your vote in the upcoming election to our local City Council. I am running for this office because I want to bring our community together.
What has burdened this community for far too long is the fact that our unincorporated areas of our community feel as though they have no say in how our city operates. Many who live in the County own businesses, property, and or work in the City but are not entitled to a vote when it comes to important elections and issues that affect us all. Conversely, our county citizens are not able to run for public office in the city because they live in the county.
I believe the time is right to rectify this problem. I am formulating a study group to look at the pros and cons of breaking away from El Dorado County and forming a new county: Tahoe County!
Perhaps we could merge with Alpine County as we have many similar issues that unite us. Perhaps we could also look at including other communities up and along the west shore.
But, what if instead of the above idea, we create a bi-state county? What if we merge what is now District 5 of El Dorado County with the Lake portion of Douglas County. We could really blur the stateline for once and for all … and only then could we really call ourselves #onesouthshore.
This idea of breaking away from El Dorado County is not completely new. A committee was put together in the late 70's to analyze this scenario. However, the West Slope of El Dorado County did not support a split.
Recommended Stories For You
Frankly speaking, El Dorado County appears to not care a wit about Tahoe issues. And quite frankly, our issues are completely different.
A Tahoe county would create a unique opportunity for greater citizen participation not to mention a new Tahoe County would focus entirely on the issues of our great basin.
I was born and raised in South Lake Tahoe and went on to earn a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Economics from the University of California, Santa Cruz. I returned to Tahoe when I started my family. My husband, Jose and I have since raised our two children here while I ran our small family business. I am currently the Branch Manager of US Bank. I have served a previous term on the City Council from 1998-2002. I am currently fulfilling Claire Fortier term which she left in 2012.
Vote Brooke Laine for City Council. Together we can make a difference.
Trending In: Opinion
- LTVA column: Tahoe South continues full speed into summer with national media exposure (opinion)
- Guest column: Will new VHR initiative be the answer for South Lake Tahoe? (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Ask Tessie: What’s the point of voting in June?
- Publisher’s Perspective: Best of Tahoe finalist voting starts today (opinion)
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Amgen Tour of California road closure information for Lake Tahoe