Letter: Grieving mother — Tahoe needs to wake up to heroin epidemic (opinion)
March 28, 2018
When will the people of South Lake Tahoe wake up and see what's outside their doors, in their homes, right underneath their noses.
There's an epidemic going on. It's all over, but there it's like living in a giant fish bowl. I'm talking about the heroin problem. I lost my son to it on Monday 19th of this month. He thought he could do it without help.
I got that call no mother or father should ever get. It was his dad's voice I heard telling me Matthiew, our 22 -year-old, was gone. He found him when he got home from work. He will have that nightmare finding our son.
Matthiew went to Tahoe Valley Elementary then onto South Tahoe Middle School then to high school. I was like all of you reading this: it won't happen to my family. It's on the corners, the back streets and God forbid your children's friends.
I am a grieving mother. And a mother trying to warn other mothers and fathers to wake up before you get that call I'll never forget for the rest of my life. My son was no angel. But an angel he became. My son has passed away, don't let it happen to your child.
Believe me, if they want to get the drugs they'll get it. Without you knowing it. The nightmare of any parent is to bury their child. I have to go through that hell soon with the family that loved him. And still does and always will.
Recommended Stories For You
In the memory of our son Matthiew (Matt) Jeffery Jenkins. Parents hug your children just a little harder tonight and never forget to tell them you love them.
Arroyo Grande, California
Trending In: Opinion
- Guest column: Time to roll up our sleeves and get to work (opinion)
- Tahoe Ski Bum column: County needs to get behind electronic closure plan (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Ribaudo column: Ideas for addressing traffic, overcrowding at Lake Tahoe (opinion)
- Letter: Traffic apps add to traffic woes (opinion)
- Lake Tahoe roads: Slide causes traffic hold on US 50; I-80 and Mt Rose Highway closed (updated)
- Lake Tahoe roads: I-80 closed, chain requirements in effect on highways (updated)
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain to turn to snow today; storm warning remains in effect
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts receive nearly 3 feet of snow in 24 hours
- Winter storm could bring 3 feet of snow to Lake Tahoe during Presidents Day weekend