In disagreement with new cancer guidelines
November 17, 2009
I guess I am the 0.7 woman whom the US Preventative Services Task Force thinks is expendable under their new guidelines on mammography screening and breast self exam.
They must think Lisa, Karen, Marla, Chris, Melodie, Sandy and many others of us diagnosed before age 50 are expendable as well.
I’m still not 50, and if I had waited until then to have a mammo, I’d be dead. Maybe it is not “cost effective” to screen women under 50, but tell that to my 10-year-old daughter, who, thanks to a mammogram, will have her mom around for a very long time.
I stand with the American Cancer Society in condemning these new guidelines.
Trending In: Opinion
- Ask Tessie: What’s the point of voting in June?
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Guest column: Vote to keeps El Dorado County Board of Supervisors intact
- Letter: Memorial Day celebration in Incline Village (opinion)
- Guest column: Tahoe Coalition for the Homeless grateful for community support (opinion)
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Sustainable Community Alliance submits signatures for initiative to maintain South Lake Tahoe VHR cap
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe