In disagreement with new cancer guidelines
November 17, 2009
I guess I am the 0.7 woman whom the US Preventative Services Task Force thinks is expendable under their new guidelines on mammography screening and breast self exam.
They must think Lisa, Karen, Marla, Chris, Melodie, Sandy and many others of us diagnosed before age 50 are expendable as well.
I’m still not 50, and if I had waited until then to have a mammo, I’d be dead. Maybe it is not “cost effective” to screen women under 50, but tell that to my 10-year-old daughter, who, thanks to a mammogram, will have her mom around for a very long time.
I stand with the American Cancer Society in condemning these new guidelines.
Trending In: Opinion
- Guest column: Decision time approaches for US 50 South Shore Community Revitalization Project (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Tahoe Mom Talk: Kid friendly restaurants (so you can actually enjoy your meal)
- Tahoe Roads: Recapping 2018 roadwork on South Shore (opinion)
- Ribaudo column: On South Lake Tahoe’s Measure T (opinion)
- ELECTION UPDATE: Measure T’s lead falls to 47 votes in South Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Regional Planning Agency approves US 50 South Shore Community Revitalization Project
- Tahoe Keys Marina vows legal action after City Council rejects land swap appeal
- ELECTION UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe’s Measure T passing by 58 votes
- South Lake Tahoe man jailed after allegedly selling pot to minors