In disagreement with new cancer guidelines
November 17, 2009
I guess I am the 0.7 woman whom the US Preventative Services Task Force thinks is expendable under their new guidelines on mammography screening and breast self exam.
They must think Lisa, Karen, Marla, Chris, Melodie, Sandy and many others of us diagnosed before age 50 are expendable as well.
I’m still not 50, and if I had waited until then to have a mammo, I’d be dead. Maybe it is not “cost effective” to screen women under 50, but tell that to my 10-year-old daughter, who, thanks to a mammogram, will have her mom around for a very long time.
I stand with the American Cancer Society in condemning these new guidelines.
Trending In: Opinion
- Letter: On SnowGlobe — enough is enough (opinion)
- Ted Gaines: ‘Police dog protection act’ good for public safety (opinion)
- Guest column: Sunshine Week — open government a right, not a political platform (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Letter: South Lake Tahoe City Council should initiate compromise on VHR issue (opinion)
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3 feet of snow at some ski resorts; another 1-3 feet of snow possible
- UPDATE: Traffic on US 50 moving once again
- UPDATE: Crystal Bay, Third Creek avalanche alert upgraded to stage 2
- Bagel shop opens inside Blue Angel Café in South Lake Tahoe
- El Dorado County: Traffic ‘nudge’ effective in Meyers