It’s time to stop Saddam
February 28, 2003
While I respect the opinions and work of Hillary Dembroff and those who are campaigning with her, I respectfully choose to disagree.
By trying to pass a petition for a city resolution opposing war, only a fraction of a city would have beeen represented. There are many people in Tahoe who will support President Bush and Congress should evidence be shown that the Iraq regime has been deceitful and broken its agreement with the United Nations. There has already been evidence, as shown by Colin Powell, that this is the case. Peaceful negotiations and actions have only made Saddam Hussein and his regime more deceitful and arrogant.
The Iraqi government does not care what we think about them. They don’t even care what the civilians of Iraq think; they have used weapons of mass destruction on them and tried to decimate those that wouldn’t conform. The parallel has been drawn to the attempt to take over Europe of Hitler.
Like Ms. Dembroff, I have a fulfilling and busy life and did not lean toward political soapboxes. I love to just be home with my family and take care of my own responsibilities. But I want to raise my children to be aware of the world around them and to show them if we do not speak up for those who can’t speak up for themselves, then our lives are simply selfish.
Peace is a very noble ideal, but we live in a world that is full of regimes and individuals who have no respect for that and who would love to destroy us. This was evidenced by 9/11 and the arrogance that went into planning that attack.
Instead of sending a bag of rice to President Bush (he doesn’t need it), feed your own family with it or use it to feed a family who needs the help. Saddam Hussein would not give it to those who need it anyway. Scripture may say to feed your enemy, but it also says in Ecclesiastes 3:8 “a time for love and a time for hate, a time for war and a time for peace.”
Recommended Stories For You
Bonnie L. Lee
South Lake Tahoe
Trending In: Opinion
- Guest column: Vote to keeps El Dorado County Board of Supervisors intact
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Letter: Memorial Day celebration in Incline Village (opinion)
- Ask Tessie: What’s the point of voting in June?
- Guest column: Will new VHR initiative be the answer for South Lake Tahoe? (opinion)
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Sustainable Community Alliance submits signatures for initiative to maintain South Lake Tahoe VHR cap
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- South Lake Tahoe police investigating robbery at credit union