Kudos: 2018 Festival of Trees & Lights a success (opinion)
January 30, 2019
On behalf of the Barton Foundation Board of Trustees, staff, and Festival Committee, I want to thank our community of helpers for making the 10th annual Festival of Trees & Lights a spectacular holiday event.
Special thanks to the nearly 3,000 people who attended the festivities this year. Proceeds from the festival will benefit local health and wellness programs in the South Tahoe community through the Barton Health Grants, improving our community's access to quality health care.
Over $87,000 was also raised this year at the 27th annual Barton Gala. These funds will be used for expanding lifesaving medical equipment, enabling our local health care system to offer new state-of-the-art technology such as Giraffe Warmer units for the Barton Family Birthing Center, which provide a safe environment for newborns, supporting mothers to remain with their babies after birth. Funds raised at the gala will also help provide respiratory patients with compact, high-tech Trilogy Ventilators to increase their mobility at home or in the hospital.
It is a joy to be part of this three-day festival and I am incredibly grateful for the people who help make this event possible. Festival of Trees & Lights simply would not happen without the assistance of our generous event sponsors, and our volunteers who helped with a variety of tasks, including dressing in holiday costumes, orchestrating the children's crafts, and taking care of bear patients at the Teddy Bear Hospital.
Huge kudos to Marsha Ticas, Angela Moore, Michelle Gomez, Tara Dobyns, Ruby Turner, Melissa Jester, Joanne Donmoyer, Barbara Lederman, Kathleen Dewing, Ethel Aubrey, Chris Henderson, the Barton Auxiliary, Sherry McManus at Associates in Photography, and Santa and Mrs. Claus for taking time away from the North Pole to visit our festival.
Another special thank you goes out to our amazingly talented tree designers, Marsha Ticas, Tina Hoy Barnwell, Kelly Smith Cassidy, Belen Urrutia, Katie Long, Barbara Anderson, Tara Dobyns, Rachel Horton, Donna Isabella, and Rae Matthews, who created the beautiful Christmas trees that were enjoyed throughout the Festival. Thank you to the youth in our local schools who designed some very impressive trees of their own!
Recommended Stories For You
When we collectively give back, it is amazing what we can accomplish. Thank you again for your support at the Festival of Trees & Lights, and making a positive impact on the health and wellness of our community.
Executive Director, Barton Foundation
Trending In: Opinion
- Tahoe Ski Bum column: County needs to get behind electronic closure plan (opinion)
- Guest column: Time to roll up our sleeves and get to work (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Ribaudo column: Ideas for addressing traffic, overcrowding at Lake Tahoe (opinion)
- Letter: Traffic apps add to traffic woes (opinion)
- Lake Tahoe roads: Slide causes traffic hold on US 50; I-80 and Mt Rose Highway closed (updated)
- Lake Tahoe roads: I-80 closed, chain requirements in effect on highways (updated)
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain to turn to snow today; storm warning remains in effect
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts receive nearly 3 feet of snow in 24 hours
- Winter storm could bring 3 feet of snow to Lake Tahoe during Presidents Day weekend