Kudos & Kindness
October 16, 2014
Knights of Columbus assist needy
The Saint Theresa Church parish council of the Knights of Columbus hosted Bread & Broth's Adopt A Day dinner on Sept. 29. According to the principles of the Knights of Columbus there is no better way to experience compassion than by helping those in need.
Through their donation and volunteering at B&B's Monday evening dinner, the Knights of Columbus helped feed a nourishing meal to more than 115 needy community members.
From 3 to 6 p.m., Knights of Columbus members Earl Scilingo, George Westinghouse, Steve Elder, Tom Finn and Romeo Alaoen volunteered to help with the evening's dinner. This energetic group helped with bagging the giveaways donated by local stores, greeted and served the dinner guests, manned the dishwasher and helped with the cleaning and stacking of the tables and chairs.
"It's time to give back, especially when I see the children in need," said Scilingo. "Breaks my heart." In addition to families with children, B&B dinner guests include the working poor, elderly on fixed incomes, as well as the homeless. Despite the economic upturn, many community members are still in need of assistance.
Thanks to the compassion and dedication of organizations such as the Knights of Columbus, B&B is able serve those in need. "I like to serve the community," said Westinghouse. Judging from their actions, that can be said of all the members of the Knights of Columbus.
Recommended Stories For You
For more about B&B, visit http://www.breadandbroth.org or find us on Facebook.
Bread & Broth
Trending In: Opinion
- Ask Tessie: What’s the point of voting in June?
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- LTVA column: Tahoe South continues full speed into summer with national media exposure (opinion)
- Guest column: Will new VHR initiative be the answer for South Lake Tahoe? (opinion)
- Publisher’s Perspective: Best of Tahoe finalist voting starts today (opinion)
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain, thunderstorms, warmer temperatures in forecast