Kudos: Thank you Jude Wood for opening the Boys and Girls Club to Sierra House students (opinion)
December 27, 2018
As if the holidays are not busy enough, the recent fire at Sierra House resulted in a need to relocate third grade Sierra House students from Dec. 12-14 and the entire Sierra House school from Dec. 17-Feb. 15.
Where will these students go, you ask? Thanks to the graciousness of Jude Wood, the executive director of the Boys and Girls Club of Lake Tahoe, they will be housed at the BGCLT facility (the former Al Tahoe Elementary School) while the repairs are completed at Sierra House.
As you can imagine, the logistics involved in such an undertaking are significant. So, we want to give kudos and share our most sincere gratitude to Jude for opening the Boys and Girls Club to the Sierra House students.
Jude has been working with the Lake Tahoe Unified School District staff to ensure a smooth transition and make sure that all the students can be accommodated, while still running a successful after-school club and planning for the building of a new Boys and Girls Club facility.
Jude's tireless commitment to the youth of our community is inspiring. In her approximately 4 ½ years as executive director of the club, she has created fun and engaging programs for the students that have increased enrollment to the point that the club has a waiting list and is often sold out for programs (summer and after-school) the day enrollment opens.
The waiting list is one of the reasons the club needs a new facility, so it can accommodate even more students. This year, over 800 children (more than 1 in 5 LTUSD kids) benefited from the BGCLT club.
Recommended Stories For You
Thank you, Jude, for everything you do for the kids in our community. We appreciate you!
With gratitude from current and former Sierra House parents,
Jenny and Tom Peterson
Larry Green, Ph.D
Will and Elisa Maher
Kelli & Dave Teteak
Julie & Brian Lowe
Trending In: Opinion
- Letter: Thanks to Ricky Reich and Lisa Maloff (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Guest column: South Lake Tahoe City Council must honor voters’ will on Measure T (opinion)
- Letter: Did IVGID chair’s letter torpedo transportation grant? (opinion)
- Guest column: No Globe Alliance provides SnowGlobe info for locals (opinion)
- Lake Tahoe weather: Moderate snow to start Tuesday; storms could bring over 3 feet
- Lake Tahoe weather: Several feet of snow possible at Lake Tahoe this week
- Sierra Avalanche Center issues backcountry avalanche watch for Lake Tahoe region
- Blizzard warning issued for Lake Tahoe high country
- UPDATE: Chain requirements in effect on most Lake Tahoe area highways