Letter (Brooke Laine): ‘I am an independent candidate’
November 4, 2016
My decision to run for the city council was based upon my belief that I have the skills, experience and desire to represent you effectively. If elected I look forward to listening to and working positively with fellow council members, agencies and citizens.
There is a rumor that I am running as a "slate" with another candidate. I respect each and every candidate for their willingness to take on this difficult task. However I am not aligned with any particular candidate. I am running independently based upon my own experience, record and skills.
Some have suggested I am in the pocket of the "Nevada-based chamber." I am not. Yes, I have been endorsed by the "Nevada-based chamber," as has another candidate. I did seek their endorsement because our community doesn't end at the state line. We need to work cooperatively to bring our different interests to the conversation in search of common ground that helps us all.
There has been a heavily financed campaign linking me to another candidate and opposing a specific candidate. In no way have I been involved with either activity. I am running independent of any other candidate or entity.
An independent Political Action Committee (PAC) is running the ads in question. I am not involved with this PAC. In fact, it would be a violation to even have any contact or coordination with this committee. I do not know who the participants or donors are. We have all seen PACs at the national level. This local PAC is required to operate independent of any candidate's campaign.
As stated above I am an independent candidate and, with your support, I look forward to working with whomever is elected to serve our community.
Recommended Stories For You
South Lake Tahoe, Calif.
Trending In: Opinion
- Ask Tessie: What’s the point of voting in June?
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Guest column: Will new VHR initiative be the answer for South Lake Tahoe? (opinion)
- LTVA column: Tahoe South continues full speed into summer with national media exposure (opinion)
- Proposals for tackling seemingly impossible tasks
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar