Letter D Win one for the peace sign
February 21, 2003
In his recent speech, Secretary of State Colin Powell asserted that Saddam Hussein had ties to al-Qaida. Yet intelligence operatives in the CIA and the FBI argue that such ties do not exist.
He also states Saddam is a bad man with bad weapons. We know Saddam is bad, but he was just as bad in the mid-1990s when an aggressive series of weapons inspections resulted in the destruction of an enormous portion of his weapons capability. History shows that inspections can disarm Iraq. Let’s push for a tough inspections regime and win this one without war.
Trending In: Opinion
- Ask Tessie: What’s the point of voting in June?
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Guest column: Will new VHR initiative be the answer for South Lake Tahoe? (opinion)
- LTVA column: Tahoe South continues full speed into summer with national media exposure (opinion)
- Proposals for tackling seemingly impossible tasks
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar