Letter — GOP won’t accept blame
February 19, 2003
The Republican recall movement of Gov. Davis is blaming him for the 2001 energy crisis and the California budget deficit hoping these will be good selling points. Never mind this is just bogus hype, Republicans are hoping they can pull the wool over a gullible California public once again.
The governor was not the cause of the energy crisis. It was created, promoted and carried out by Republican corporate shysters from Texas (isn’t President Bush from Texas?) who manipulated oil and gas prices for gain and profit.
The California budget crisis along with that of most other states in a similar fix is the result of a dramatic downturn in the stock market over the last three years. The GOP knows this all too well. The Republicans and anti-tax forces who are now jeopardizing and thwarting a responsible solution to the California budget crisis, through legislative inaction, would rather see the state go down the tubes instead of raising taxes and alleviating the problem.
Will Californians of good conscience stand by and let these carpetbaggers have their way?
Trending In: Opinion
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Ask Tessie: What’s the point of voting in June?
- LTVA column: Tahoe South continues full speed into summer with national media exposure (opinion)
- Guest column: Will new VHR initiative be the answer for South Lake Tahoe? (opinion)
- Publisher’s Perspective: Best of Tahoe finalist voting starts today (opinion)
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Candidate Q&A: Kenny Curtzwiler for El Dorado County Supervisor