Letter: McClintock fails when it comes to health care (opinion
October 8, 2018
To many of us, healthcare is a No. 1 issue. Since January 2017 we've witnessed 18 attempts by the Congressman McClintock to dismantle the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
Congressman McClintock called pre-existing conditions "nuisances" that people should take care of on their own.
Let's look back at what healthcare was like prior to the ACA:
People wanted change — one 2008 poll cited a large majority of Americans wanted the healthcare system overhauled.
Americans were afraid to change jobs because that meant losing healthcare because of unaffordable premiums or pre-existing conditions.
Those with pre-existing conditions faced prohibitively high premiums, if they could even find coverage. Now, because of the ACA, the 300,000 people in California's 4th Congressional District who have a pre-existing condition are covered and given equitable premiums.
Recommended Stories For You
Women had fewer mammograms because of the high out-of-pocket cost. The ACA removed the financial barrier for preventive measures.
Women paid more for healthcare insurance than men. The ACA outlawed "gender rating."
Insurance plans did not always provide comprehensive coverage. The ACA requires coverage of 10 essential benefits such as lab, x-ray, maternity care, emergency rooms.
Adult children aged out of policies at an earlier age. The ACA allows coverage up to age 26.
These provisions are what we stand to lose if we re-elect Congressman McClintock. He's had a decade to fix our healthcare system in Congress, but he's only voted to make the situation worse.
We can keep our healthcare and lower our prescription drug costs by electing Jessica Morse! She's pledged to uphold the basic tenets of the ACA and work on those provisions needing reform. Tom McClintock has pledged to eliminate the ACA.
Seventy-thousand of us in the #CA04 depend on the ACA. I'm voting for Morse to protect my healthcare coverage!
Trending In: Opinion
- Letter: It’s time for South Lake Tahoe’s newly elected leaders to lead (opinion)
- Guest column: Introducing The 1974 — Lake Tahoe Community College’s new student newspaper
- Letter: How is Whole Foods project economically beneficial to South Lake Tahoe? (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Ribaudo column: Election recap on Lake Tahoe South Shore (opinion)
- TMZ: Tom Cruise in South Lake Tahoe to film scenes for ‘Top Gun’ sequel
- Backcountry skier rescued near Mount Tallac after falling over 200 feet (video)
- Realtor group vows to stay involved, looks ‘forward to continued discussion’ following passage of Measure T
- Lake Tahoe weather: Sunny conditions through weekend, snow possible next week
- Sierra snowpack well above average after storms