Letter — Molly Ivins and her propaganda
March 3, 2003
In the Feb. 14 edition, Molly Ivin’s column, third paragraph, refers to the upcoming war with Iraq: “We are about to go to war with a country that hasn’t fired a shot at us or anyone.” Molly, where have you been the last few decades?
Under the leadership of Saddam Hussein, Iraq attacked Iran, used mustard gas, incurred between 500,000 and 750,000 casualties, paused to breed more troops, then attacked Kuwait. Conduct of his occupation of Kuwait was similar to Attila the Hun (rape, pillage and burn). During this campaign, he fired a scud missile at Saudi Arabia killing 28 American reservists and fired missiles at Israel which was not involved in Desert Storm. Following these escapades, he unleashed nerve gas on his own people, the Kurds in Northern Iraq. Nerve gas kills men, women, children and animals.
Shame on you, Molly — using name calling, card stacking and glittering generalities in propaganda writing is fun to catch but outright telling lies is going too far — or have you been living in a vacuum down there in Austin?
James B. Townsend
South Lake Tahoe
Trending In: Opinion
- Guest column: Will new VHR initiative be the answer for South Lake Tahoe? (opinion)
- LTVA column: Tahoe South continues full speed into summer with national media exposure (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Publisher’s Perspective: Best of Tahoe finalist voting starts today (opinion)
- Guest column: Generous donors changing lives at Lake Tahoe Community College — 1 student at a time (opinion)
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Amgen Tour of California road closure information for Lake Tahoe
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Council: More feedback needed before changes to South Lake Tahoe food truck regs