Letter: Silke Plueger for California State Senate District 1 in the March 26 primary (opinion)
March 3, 2019
The California Democratic Party and the El Dorado County Central Committee have endorsed Silke Plueger.
Her main priorities are:
Affordable and accessible healthcare for all Californians, including those in rural areas.
Fire resiliency and preparation.
Climate change measures that protect our farming communities and winter tourism economy.
Affordable housing so that people can live in the community where they work.
Recommended Stories For You
Infrastructure improvements to support our economies.
On the ballot, Silke is facing off against four Republicans and one person who is identified as a Democrat, Steven Baird. Baird ran as a Republican against Ted Gaines in 2016 and then changed his party affiliation to Democrat.
In April 2016, Baird participated in a candidate forum hosted by the League of Women Voters. At that time Baird told the audience he would be considered a climate change denier. At that same forum Baird stated that he was at the forefront of the State of Jefferson movement.
This past week Baird announced that he is withdrawing from the Senate Race. Unfortunately his name will appear on the ballot.
Silke, from Truckee, will best represent the values of the Lake Tahoe basin. Please vote for her to ensure that a person who shares democratic values is on the ballot June 4.
Chair, South Lake Tahoe Democratic Club
Trending In: Opinion
- Guest column: Fire protection is an existential issue (opinion)
- Tahoe Ski Bum column: Do we have too many visitors in town? (opinion)
- Thoughts on TRPA’s reversal on Cave Rock Cove pier
- Guest column: Sunshine your fundamental right (opinion)
- Ribaudo column: Time to rethink Lake Tahoe’s tourism model (opinion)
- Missing snowboarder found dead at Lake Tahoe ski resort
- Sierra storm could bring up to 1 foot of snow to higher elevations around Lake Tahoe
- Bear cubs found by California highway may have been poached
- Mountain Housing Council releases report on short-term rentals in North Lake Tahoe, Truckee
- High-tech fight on aquatic invasive plants in Lake Tahoe shows promising results