Letter — Things also bad in other states
March 3, 2003
I am a Tahoe native now living in Pennsylvania. I am employed with the Warren Times Observer. I wasn’t shocked to learn that the school district made such cuts. Sadly, these type of cuts are going on all over the country. In the town I now reside in, the school board recently voted to close all five elementary schools. Why? Because they claim it was too costly to maintain five schools and employ staff for them as well.
Their solution? To build a super school next to the high school. As you can imagine there are a number of problems with this proposed solution. The town is up in arms, and rightfully so. What helped contribute to this loss? Well, for one, a city council which has repeatedly made poor decisions and bad money investments with tax dollars.
Again, it is unfortunate that jobs will be lost and schools hang in the balance, but not a surprise.
Trending In: Opinion
- LTVA column: Tahoe South continues full speed into summer with national media exposure (opinion)
- Guest column: Will new VHR initiative be the answer for South Lake Tahoe? (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Ask Tessie: What’s the point of voting in June?
- Publisher’s Perspective: Best of Tahoe finalist voting starts today (opinion)
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Amgen Tour of California road closure information for Lake Tahoe