Letter to the editor: How to get property tax answers | TahoeDailyTribune.com

Letter to the editor: How to get property tax answers

Knowing the proper party to call can save taxpayers time and energy when searching for answers to property tax questions.

For example: Can the Tax Collector change the amount of my taxes?

Answer: No. The Tax Collector is forbidden by law from changing the value of the property, the dollar amount of the tax and the other attributes on the tax bill such as the homeowner’s exemption. However, the Tax Collector’s office can always answer the questions concerning amounts owning and when the property taxes are due.

Although the Tax Collector prepares the tax bill from data accumulated on the tax roll, the information is placed most often on the roll by the Assessor, the Auditor/Controller or a Special District.

The Assessor’s office, for instance, assesses property values when there is a change in ownership or when a property is improved. This valuation appears on the tax bill sent by the Tax Collector, but it’s the Assesor’s office that has performed the appraisal and has the detail of the transaction. The Assessor’s phone number is 530-621-5719 and it’s this office that should be contacted when there is a question regarding property values.

If the taxpayer has a question concerning a Special District charge, they should call the Special District phone number listed on the tax bill. Should a taxpayer have a question concerning: the calculation of the tax, refunds of Supplemental Assessment or the tax rate; they should contact the Auditor/Controller’s office.

Each office has specialized staff to assist taxpayers with their important questions about property tax due dates, valuations and calculations.

C. L. Raffety

Treasurer-Tax Collector

El Dorado County

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User