Letters to the editor for Aug. 15
August 14, 2008
This letter is an important public notice. Tuesday, Aug. 19, at the South Lake Tahoe City Council meeting, there will be a vote on amendments to the Vacation Home Rental Ordinance (VHRO) that will be critical to our community and the residents of our town. The vacation-rental agencies want to water down the ordinance, which will make it difficult to enforce. If you want your voice to be heard, you must attend this meeting at 9 a.m. at the airport. If you cannot attend, contact our council members and convey your feelings:
— Mayor Mike Weber: (530) 542-5512, firstname.lastname@example.org
— Jerry Birdwell: (530) 544-4451, email@example.com
— Kathay Lovell: (530) 544-3288, firstname.lastname@example.org
— Ted Long: (530) 541-3020, email@example.com
— Bill Crawford: (530) 542-2158
Recommended Stories For You
Do you want loud parties and excessive vehicles to end at 10 p.m. or 2 a.m.? Do you want large weddings and frat parties next door? How many vacation rentals are too many? Will there be one on each side of your house next year? Will you be forced to move, as many already have, because of a nuisance house next door? We can coexist with vacation-home rentals if the ordinance is amended as proposed. The burden cannot be placed on local residents to ensure a peaceful neighborhood.
Please join me at 9 a.m. Tuesday at the City Council meeting at the Lake Tahoe Airport to ensure our numbers match theirs and show support for the residents of South Lake Tahoe. We should remember that the common good of all local residents must take precedence over commercial interests if we are to have a viable and healthy city.
South Lake Tahoe
Trending In: Opinion
- Letter: On SnowGlobe — enough is enough (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Ask Tessie: What etiquette should people know for hot springing near Tahoe?
- Guest column: Sunshine Week — open government a right, not a political platform (opinion)
- Letter: South Lake Tahoe City Council should initiate compromise on VHR issue (opinion)
- UPDATE: Traffic on US 50 moving once again
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3 feet of snow at some ski resorts; another 1-3 feet of snow possible
- Lake Tahoe weather: Storm could bring 4 feet of snow to Sierra mountains
- UPDATE: Crystal Bay, Third Creek avalanche alert upgraded to stage 2
- South Lake Tahoe man sleeping behind car killed after neighbor unknowingly backed over him