Letters to the editor for Oct. 15
October 13, 2008
My name is Karen Jaime. The Tribune wrote an article on April 10, 2006, on a carbon monoxide (CO) leak I had in my house due to a defective gas fireplace insert.
Well, I am heading back into court again, due to yet another CO leak with the new replacement unit. Yes, this has happened to me twice – what are the odds? This has occurred with two different retailers and two different fabricators.
Now, a third unit has been installed, and believe it or not, it doesn’t work either. It has become a $2,500 planter box in my living room.
With both CO exposures, I was misdiagnosed with the flu, as CO exposure is very flulike in nature and runs parallel to the winter season. I also had a CO detector that never sounded off. My emissions were high enough to make me very sick, but the levels were not detectable by the standard retail detection product I had installed.
Before you “batten down the hatches” and fire up the heater, I encourage you to have your gas appliances inspected for safety, in particular these new gas inserts that seem to have become the rage.
Some people are highly sensitive to this toxin, just as reactions can vary to a bee sting. What levels are deemed safe and for whom?
Recommended Stories For You
We are not talking toilets here. This is a serious matter that needs to be brought once again to the forefront of public safety concerns, before someone else dies. It could have been my family had it not been discovered in time.
Do your homework: You’d be surprised at the long-term repercussions of this toxic gas.
South Lake Tahoe
Trending In: Opinion
- Guest column: Vote to keeps El Dorado County Board of Supervisors intact
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Letter: Memorial Day celebration in Incline Village (opinion)
- Ask Tessie: What’s the point of voting in June?
- Guest column: Will new VHR initiative be the answer for South Lake Tahoe? (opinion)
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Sustainable Community Alliance submits signatures for initiative to maintain South Lake Tahoe VHR cap
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes