Letters to the editor
April 11, 2014
Mark Twain urges 'yes' vote on Measure L
When I visit small towns with active libraries in a white suit as Mark Twain, they hail me as "Mr. Twain," or "Samuel Clemens." When I visit small towns without active libraries they customarily ask if I'm there to fry them up some chicken. Please vote "yes" on Measure L.
26 year impressionist of Mark Twain
Library serves all ages of community
Recommended Stories For You
I came to South Lake Tahoe in 2008 and while house hunting I stopped in to look over our South Lake Tahoe Public Library. I told my husband I had to see what the library looked like. I would not make a final decision on moving here unless I saw that there was a suitable library to sustain my love of reading and researching.
Once I moved here I quickly became involved in the community and now serve in many capacities that involve the use of our library. I am a Child Advocate of El Dorado County and have brought my children from foster care to the library for programs and library materials. With my joining the Friends, I worked to restart an adult book club, have served on the board, conducted a grant supported summer art program, and now lead the World Explorers Pen Pal Club. Through these programs I have seen young children, parents, grandparents, community citizens from all walks of life thoroughly enjoy and learn from library resources and programs.
My present work with teens in the Juvenile Treatment Center has led me to search out young adult books throughout the library system for possible recommendation for our book club. The Friends have supported book purchases and possible grants for funding. As part of the Friends, I have organized a group of givers for World Book Night, now in our second year. On April 23, we will be giving away books all over the city. These programs, provided at our library, serve all ages in our community in so many ways besides the books on the shelves. Please support Measure L to keep our library open as a vehicle for providing for so many of our community needs!
South Lake Tahoe
Trending In: Opinion
- Guest column: Disrupt or be disrupted — Lake Tahoe Community College is embracing change (opinion)
- Letter: Vote ‘yes’ on Measure T in South Lake Tahoe (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Guest column: Progress made on workforce housing but more can be done (opinion)
- Letter: Consider fees, not a ban, to fix VHR issues (opinion)
- Traps reignite controversy over Nevada Department of Wildlife bear management
- DA: Former Lake Tahoe Humane Society director pleads guilty to embezzlement
- Ken’s Tires Center celebrates 40 years in South Lake Tahoe
- Douglas County conducts online survey on vacation home rentals
- El Dorado County supervisor candidates find some common ground on VHR regulations