Opinion: My View: Notes from the Front Row ™
Getting real. It’s become increasing clear that the South Shore despite its picturesque location, environmental focus, abundance of recreation and tons of entertainment, faces some real problems that have been hidden from view for way to too long. We have read about the out-of-control drug abuse, gang activities and mental health issues and most recently there has been several articles on homelessness. It is clear we have some serious problems and not a clear understanding on how to address them. Granted these problems exist in many communities the difference is other communities readily acknowledge them. These issues are often complex and are the result of many different forces at work. The key is to now focus on these issues. For too many years the discussion has been about the environment and the economy it is now time to include in a much more substantial way the human side of the issues. Over the last dozen years we have spent more than $1.5 billion on environmental issues to get the right shade of blue in the lake — which I have supported. But can we work better to find solutions to these human problems with the same focus and doggedness we have with the environment? I can only imagine if we spent just 10 percent of that amount on drug treatment, mental health and low-income housing. Can we do a better job of addressing these issues? How do we start? The press must continue to raise awareness for these issues, local government and agencies including TRPA must consider how their policies impact and effect these issues and they must be called out if policies have a negative impact. Third, the local community needs to get mad. The same anger that was focused on parking meters needs to be focused on these issues. I am mad.
• Summer is almost here. From what I am hearing and seeing around the state tourism should be pretty strong. After a winter like we had we can use it. Now if the weather will just cooperate we might do ok.
The Big Picture
• It’s getting a little nauseating listening to all the Republican presidential contenders and Hillary run away from their decision to invade Iraq, in fact it’s a bit pathetic. These knuckleheads should figure out a better way to respond to this question than to appease the politically correct voters of the moment. They dishonor those who gave their lives and limbs for “a mistake.” Yes, we can blame George Bush or Congress or whomever you want, but somewhere there is a soldier with no legs, or a wife whose husband has died for this mistake. I mean really.
• Don’t miss the new non-stop daily flight from Reno-Tahoe International Airport to New York. They start Friday. Now all the Yankee fans in the region can see some home games.
It’s a Wrap
• Yes, I know its baseball season but I am into these NBA finals. The Warriors had an incredible run and it looks like LeBron and the Cavaliers are in the driver’s seat. This would make a great finals series. Look, great athleticism is great athleticism in any sport. Do yourself a favor and tune into the finals they start on June 4.
• The Amgen Womens tour event was great, we were close to getting it snowed out but I thought the event showcased South Shore well. The background, the competition and these athletes were incredible. Kudos to the LTVA for putting this together.
• About those burgers I told you about last month, I heard from Mark at Overland Meats who directed me to try one of theirs, you can bet I will.
Carl Ribaudo is a contributing columnist to the Tahoe Daily Tribune. He is also a consultant, speaker and writer who lives in South Shore. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User