Letter: Memorial Day celebration in Incline Village (opinion)
May 22, 2018
To all Veterans,families, friends and supporters;
The Memorial Day Holiday starts the fabulous summer season here at Lake Tahoe. This holiday means the first trip to the lake, backyard barbecues, first boating trip on the lake and being with family and friends. But Memorial Day has another meaning that sometimes takes a back seat to the festivities.
The true meaning of Memorial Day is to remember, honor and pay tribute to all the men and women who have given their lives in defense of our freedom and our nation. Memorial Day was designated a holiday in 1869 for the purpose of honoring those who died in the Civil War and has since been designated a holiday for all those that have fallen in war and times of conflict. It is named Memorial Day for that reason and to remember our deceased brothers and sisters.
In honor of our fallen heroes we are celebrating the fourth annual Incline Village Veterans Club Commemoration of Memorial Day. This celebration is to be held on Monday, May 28, at the Chateau in Incline Village starting at 1 p.m.
It is free and open to all who wish to attend. Please plan on coming a little early as seating is limited. Following the ceremony there will be light refreshments for all ages, a raffle and kids activities.
Please plan on attending and taking a few moments to stop and remember those who gave their lives in defense of our nation. Veterans of all services were willing to serve, knowing that they might be called on to fight and to die. They deserve to be remembered on this day. It is the one day we can honor and respect their sacrifice that they have paid.
Recommended Stories For You
Please join us on this Memorial Day to celebrate for all our veterans,families and friends.
The Incline Village Veterans Club
Trending In: Opinion
- Letter: Thanks to Ricky Reich and Lisa Maloff (opinion)
- Guest column: South Lake Tahoe City Council must honor voters’ will on Measure T (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Letter: Did IVGID chair’s letter torpedo transportation grant? (opinion)
- Tom McClintock column: Why our border matters (opinion)
- Lake Tahoe weather: Several feet of snow possible at Lake Tahoe this week
- Cannabis oil extraction lab causes fire, explosions at South Lake Tahoe home
- Lake Tahoe weather: Moderate snow to start Tuesday; storms could bring over 3 feet
- Opening of Renoagogo brings chain store goods to North Lake Tahoe
- Trash building up at popular Lake Tahoe sledding site