Letter: Time for California to adopt Medicare for all (opinion)
April 3, 2018
California legislators recently introduced a hodge-podge healthcare package they say will provide more residents with insurance coverage through a series of patches and tweaks to our already convoluted and inefficient system. Their proposals build on the ACA, a system that has tragically demonstrated that insurance "coverage," with its huge out of pocket costs, forces many to skip care even if they are paying for premiums. Why would we want to expand a system designed to enrich the health insurance industry by restricting and denying care to so many?
It's time for California to lead the nation by adopting the Medicare-for-all type system proposed in the Healthy California Act- SB562, sponsored by the California Nurses Association.
Critics of SB 562, say it would cost too much. On the contrary, it would save billions and cover everyone, regardless of their economic or immigration status. It is our current healthcare system that costs too much. We pay far more than other nations and get far less, including poorer health outcomes and a reduced life span.
SB 562 will save billions of dollars and save lives. We can and must do both.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Letter: Vote ‘yes’ on Measure T in South Lake Tahoe (opinion)
- Guest column: Disrupt or be disrupted — Lake Tahoe Community College is embracing change (opinion)
- Letter: Consider fees, not a ban, to fix VHR issues (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Guest column: Progress made on workforce housing but more can be done (opinion)
- Ken’s Tires Center celebrates 40 years in South Lake Tahoe
- Whittell celebrates Lisa Maloff, football team crushes Smith Valley at new digs
- El Dorado County supervisor candidates find some common ground on VHR regulations
- Traps reignite controversy over Nevada Department of Wildlife bear management
- Re-vamped Apple Hill shuttle gets a test drive