Letter: Traffic apps add to traffic woes (opinion)
January 31, 2019
With winter upon us, technology has reared its ugly head again in the form of mapping apps.
During the recent storms, locals were once again subjected to out of town drivers using mapping programs to try to find their way around traffic and clogging local streets while trying to avoid slow downs on the main arteries. To top it off, once the highway was closed, Donner Pass Road became a parking lot, making driving through town a three- or four-hour endeavor.
We need our town council and police to come up with a plan to control traffic under these conditions. Local and emergency vehicle passing lanes during storms? Designated parking areas during highway closures? These aren't new problems, but they are becoming worse with the injection of technology into the mix.
Trending In: Opinion
- Tahoe Ski Bum column: County needs to get behind electronic closure plan (opinion)
- Guest column: Time to roll up our sleeves and get to work (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Ribaudo column: Ideas for addressing traffic, overcrowding at Lake Tahoe (opinion)
- Letter: Traffic apps add to traffic woes (opinion)
- Lake Tahoe roads: Slide causes traffic hold on US 50; I-80 and Mt Rose Highway closed (updated)
- Lake Tahoe roads: I-80 closed, chain requirements in effect on highways (updated)
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain to turn to snow today; storm warning remains in effect
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts receive nearly 3 feet of snow in 24 hours
- Winter storm could bring 3 feet of snow to Lake Tahoe during Presidents Day weekend