Letter: We must make meaningful changes to prevent catastrophic fires (opinion)
December 4, 2018
The majority of the most destructive fires we are witnessing are human caused. The frequency and severity is unsustainable.
Solutions will be expensive, controversial, and unpopular, but must include population considerations, development and encroachment restrictions, stiff fines and penalties, and science based rules and regulations.
If we refuse to take action, then we deserve the coming atrocities, but the wildlife and other living things that have flourished here for millennia do not.
South Lake Tahoe, California
Trending In: Opinion
- Winter storm warning remains in effect at Lake Tahoe; 2 more feet of snow possible
- Lake Tahoe roads: Chain requirements in effect (updated)
- California Highway Patrol: Travel to Lake Tahoe is not recommended
- Lake Tahoe roads: Slide causes traffic hold on US 50; I-80 and Mt Rose Highway closed (updated)
- Winter storm warning extended; more snow likely at Lake Tahoe Sunday