Portion of Industrial Avenue closed to allow SEZ restoration project
Huge tractors and earth movers are tearing up 500 feet of Industrial Avenue, part of which will remain closed permanently as part of an environmental restoration project.
Work began last week to remove the road segment between Welcome’s Auto Body and Tahoe Asphalt. Ground work should be finished this week, with paving of a cul-de-sac near Tahoe Asphalt and installation of curbs, gutters and drainage basins to follow in short order.
The project will allow for the merger of a 13-acre undeveloped stream environment zone, which was split when Industrial Avenue was built in the 1960s. The street kept snowmelt from flowing into the watershed area, which works as a filter for water flowing into the lake.
“It’s a little bit of earth moving for a large benefit,” said Lisa O’Daly, associate planner for the city of South Lake Tahoe. “It is one of the Environmental Improvement Programs for water quality and Stream Environment Zone restoration.”
After the road has been torn out, a more natural topography will be created. Shallow channels and sediment traps will help filter the water before it flows to Lake Tahoe; currently, it is piped out to the Tahoe Valley Erosion Control Project for treatment.
Another aspect of the project will be the setting up of a pre-treatment valve, which will catch and treat water coming off the industrial zone that exists close to the project site. The area is home to an asphalt plant, a mini-storage facility and the city corporation yard among other large industrial users.
The street closure will not seriously impact traffic in the area because it was not a major thoroughfare and was being used mainly as a shortcut for people wanting quick access to Tahoe Asphalt, O’Daly said.
The SEZ project was approved early this summer and is being funded by the California Tahoe Conservancy. Revegetation work is likely to be completed by the end of November.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Standing in the dry, cracked bottom of Lake Mendocino, Gov. Gavin Newsom declared a drought emergency Wednesday in two Northern California counties where grape growers and wineries are major users, an order…