2 men killed while hiking, climbing in Sequoia National Park
May 15, 2018
The park says 29-year-old Anton Dokov of San Diego was killed on Sunday when he slipped on the Watchtower section of the Lakes Trail and plunged over a cliff. Because of dangerous conditions, his body wasn’t recovered until Tuesday.
The second death occurred on May 5. Authorities say 29-year-old Eric Juliani of New Jersey was trying to make a solo summit of Mount Whitney when he fell.
Park officials say two people descending the mountain found two ice axes and what appeared to be a blood trail leading to a body some 1,500 to 2,000 feet below.
Authorities warn that the park still has winter conditions at higher elevations.
Trending In: Regional
- Lake Tahoe roads: Slide causes traffic hold on US 50; I-80 and Mt Rose Highway closed (updated)
- Lake Tahoe roads: I-80 closed, chain requirements in effect on highways (updated)
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain to turn to snow today; storm warning remains in effect
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts receive nearly 3 feet of snow in 24 hours
- Winter storm could bring 3 feet of snow to Lake Tahoe during Presidents Day weekend