California’s legal cannabis marketplace: By the numbers
January 1, 2019
LOS ANGELES — After one year of broad legal sales, California’s marijuana marketplace remains in transition, as companies adapt to new rules and illegal operators continue to flourish. A snapshot of the emerging legal economy:
- Estimated 2018 sales at licensed dispensaries and delivery services: $2.5 billion.
- Breakdown of sales at dispensaries, by category: buds, 39 percent; concentrates, 33 percent; edibles, 16 percent; pre-rolled, 8 percent; topicals, 2 percent; accessories, 2 percent.
- Number of cultivation licenses: 4,795
- Number of retail storefronts: 531
- Distributors: 996
- Testing labs: 52
Sources: BDS Analytics; California Bureau of Cannabis Control; California Department of Food and Agriculture
Trending In: Regional
- Lake Tahoe weather: Moderate snow to start Tuesday; storms could bring over 3 feet
- Lake Tahoe weather: Several feet of snow possible at Lake Tahoe this week
- Sierra Avalanche Center issues backcountry avalanche watch for Lake Tahoe region
- UPDATE: Chain requirements in effect on most Lake Tahoe area highways
- Blizzard warning issued for Lake Tahoe high country