San Diego judge won’t halt fireworks show | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

San Diego judge won’t halt fireworks show

SAN DIEGO (AP) – Sparks flew when an environmental group tried to ban a San Diego fireworks display because of pollution concerns, but a judge says the show will go on.

The judge on Wednesday refused to block Sunday’s 26th annual Fourth of July display at La Jolla Cove.

The Coastal Environmental Rights Foundation sued organizers last week, arguing that fireworks will pollute the ocean and harm marine mammals.



The suit also claimed that San Diego officials and two nonprofit groups failed to obtain environmental approval from the state.

Superior Court Judge Linda B. Quinn says there isn’t enough evidence to prove that the display would cause irreparable harm.



San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders calls the decision a victory for anybody who likes fireworks on the Fourth of July.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User