San Diego man held in Truckee rape case has charges dismissed (Update) | TahoeDailyTribune.com

San Diego man held in Truckee rape case has charges dismissed (Update)

Update

Prosecutors have dismissed charges against a San Diego man accused of rape of an unconscious person in Truckee, reports state.

The move by Nevada County prosecutors to dismiss the accusation against Douglas Scott Thomas, 26, came after the District Attorney’s Office determined the case couldn’t be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, Deputy District Attorney Anna Tyner said.

“This was not a light decision,” Tyner said, saying she opted to dismiss after speaking with experts, the victim and others.

Initially contacted by email, Thomas couldn’t be reached for comment.

Authorities had accused Thomas of sexually assaulting a woman in November while she was unconscious. Police issued a warrant and arrested Thomas days later in Boise, Idaho.

According to court records, a Nevada County judge found enough probable cause in February to advance Thomas’ case toward trial. Prosecutors dismissed the case last month.

To contact Staff Writer Alan Riquelmy, email ariquelmy@theunion.com or call 530-477-4239.

This article was originally published on May 18, 2017.

Original post

TRUCKEE, Calif. — A San Diego man accused of raping a woman in Truckee remained in jail Thursday under $100,000 in bond, authorities said.

Douglas Scott Thomas, 25, is charged with rape, reports state. He’s accused of sexually assaulting a woman on Wednesday, Nov. 14, while she was unconscious.

She reported the assault that day, and the Truckee Police Department issued a warrant for his arrest, TPD Sgt. Robert Womack told The Union newspaper in Grass Valley.

Authorities arrested Thomas — whose profession is listed as firefighter, according to the Nevada County Jail — days later in Boise, Idaho.

Deputies booked him into the Nevada County Jail on Wednesday, Womack added.


Support Local Journalism

Your support means a better informed community. Donate today.


News


See more