School Board approves hiring of principal
The Douglas County School District Board of Trustees approved Tuesday the hire of Cissy Tucker as principal for Gardnerville Elementary School.
Tucker, last year’s interim principal at the school, was appointed to the permanent post in May, but Attorney General Frankie Sue Del Papa found the action to be a violation of the Nevada Open Meeting Law.
The violation occurred during a May 16 meeting in which trustees approved the hire on the recommendation of Superintendent Pendery Clark. The action item was not listed on the public agenda, but rather was included in an addendum given to the board shortly before the meeting.
Del Papa reprimanded the board for the violation, but said it appeared unintentional. In a July 26 letter to the trustees, Del Papa encouraged the board to revisit the issue.
Some parents at Tuesday’s meeting expressed concern about Tucker’s competency. District officials said administrators spoke on her behalf.
Gardnerville Elementary Parent/Teacher/Student Organization secretary Val Sonnemann, who filed the complaint with the attorney general against the board in May, said she is concerned about Tucker’s capability and upset with the board’s choice to accept her principalship.
“A lot of us were very disappointed and I’m frustrated with the school board,” she said. “Parents and teachers called, came, voiced concerns and I felt the board totally decided with the administration on their choice for the principal, even with so many concerned people there.”
Sonnemann said the board voted twice. None of the seven trustees could be reached Wednesday to comment as to why they took a second vote.
According to meeting records, the first vote resulted in a 4-3 decision against Tucker. Jim Keegan, Dave Brady, Keith Roman and Connie Wennhold voted to reject Clark’s recommendation. George Echan, Cheri Johnson and John Louritt voted to accept.
The second vote resulted in a 6-1 decision in favor of accepting Tucker. Brady cast the dissenting vote.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — California Gov. Gavin Newsom has from the start said his coronavirus policy decisions would be driven by data shared with the public to provide maximum transparency.