Schwarzenegger signs $20M kidnapping settlement
Associated Press Writer
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) – Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a $20 million state settlement Friday with a woman who was held captive for 18 years and the two daughters she bore to her suspected abductor.
The settlement acknowledged the state’s repeated missteps in supervising Phillip Garrido. The convicted rapist was on parole when authorities say he kidnapped Jaycee Dugard in 1991 from near her South Lake Tahoe home.
The Legislature approved the settlement last week. On Thursday, Schwarzenegger told reporters “the system fell short” in its supervision of Garrido.
Garrido and his wife Nancy have pleaded not guilty to kidnapping and rape. They are due in court Aug. 20 for a pretrial hearing.
The settlement will provide Dugard, now 30, and her daughters, ages 15 and 12, with enough money for a lifetime of therapy and education.
Authorities said Dugard lived 18 years in a compound in the backyard of the Garrido home in the eastern San Francisco Bay area city of Antioch.
The three-page settlement was obtained Friday by The Associated Press. It also says both sides are responsible for paying their own attorneys fees and legal costs, and it ends all legal claims by the Dugard family against the state.
Dugard and her daughters filed the claim in February with the state, saying California parole agents failed to follow up on numerous clues that could have led to their rescue years before they finally surfaced last August.
Dugard told her attorneys that she and her eldest daughter spoke with parole agents, but the agents failed to follow up.
Attorney Dale Kinsella, who represents Dugard, said approving the settlement was a prudent decision for the state.
Assemblyman Jim Nielsen, R-Yuba City, said the settlement would have been far greater if the case had gone to a jury.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
El Dorado County deputies arrested two people on suspicion of grand theft and possession of burglary tools after reportedly finding items linked to catalytic converter thefts in a vehicle during a traffic stop Jan. 13.