Search and Rescue art sale set
An art show and sale to benefit the Search and Rescue division of the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office is scheduled from April 6, 7 and 8. The fund-raiser will take place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Embassy Suites Blaisdale Room, Stateline. A wine and cheese reception will take place from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday. No admission will be charged.
Search and Rescue has been actively helping people in the community for more than 25 years. The group’s monies come from El Dorado County and it has an operating cost of $25,000 annually. This group consists entirely of volunteers who routinely risk their life rescuing people lost of injured in the outlying wilderness areas. Speciality groups include high angle rock climbing, horseback, mountain bike, snowmobile and Nordic skiing. They currently are accepting new volunteers. More than 30 active members belong to the group and money is needed for pagers, radios, ropes and other operating expenses.
Search and Rescue typically receives between 40 and 70 call-outs each summer for people who may be lost on a hike, injured on a ledge or both. At times, helicopters and other air support teams are called in for assistance. Roughly 75 percent of these are rescues to retrieve someone injured. The remaining 25 percent are searches to find someone lost.
The body of paintings at the fund-raiser reflect several years of new work by local artist Silvio Silvestri, a professional plein air artist who has been in galleries, shows and exhibits for the past 12 years. Landscapes, florals and figures will be shown with an emphasis on western landscapes. Plein air refers to the method in which he paints – outside and on-scene with an emphasis upon atmospheric effects and color. It is impressionistic in nature, using vivid, strong color. Various sizes and prices will be offered and all the sales are tax deductible. Interested adults with outdoor skills who cannot make the event may call Deputy Todd Crawford at the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office, (530) 573-3000, to make a donation or volunteer their time.
Volunteers will be at the event to explain to the public the various methods in which rescue work is done. For example, snowmobiles are used extensively in the back country to find out-of-bounds skiers or people lost in the winter. In the summer rock teams typically pick injured hikers out of the Desolation Wilderness and evacuate them via helicopter or a metal basket especially designed for injured parties.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User